List of consumable stat-boosting items
Among the consumable items found throughout the Golden Sun series are items that permanently increase one of a party member's statistics. Which stat is increased depends on the item used: a Mint will provide a permanent boost to an Adept's Agility while a Cookie will bolster the person's Psynergy Point total.
These items are found in limited quantities in both games, usually kept in treasure chests, hidden in crates or barrels, and in later stages of The Lost Age they are dropped by Mimics and Mad Plants. They are considered Artifacts, meaning they can be purchased at any item shop if they are sold or dropped. Each of these items cost 500 coins and can be sold for 375 coins. The locations where each of these items can be found are listed below.
A trick that can be done with these items lies in the Easy Mode feature of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, where a Clear Data file saved after the end of the game can be used as the base for a new game where the party starts off at the same levels and stat-boosts as at the end of the previous save-file. Because statistics boosts given by these items are preserved through this "New Game Plus" procedure, it is theoretically possible to keep on replaying the game and collecting and using these items to make the characters stronger than would be ordinarily, until they reach the maximum caps of all their important statistics.
|Use Effect||Permanently increase the Attack of one ally|
An Apple (パワーアップル, Power Apple?) is a consumable item that, when used, permanently raises an Adept's Attack rating. The Japanese name is a pun where パワーアップ may be read as "power up". There are a total of eighteen Apples throughout the Golden Sun series.
Four Apples are found in Golden Sun:
- A group of six barrels can be found behind the weapon and armor shop in Kolima. An Apple is in the upper-left barrel.
- Many "rooms" of the Mogall Forest contain hollow tree stumps that can be hit with the Force Psynergy. Travel east in the third of such rooms to find a chest containing an Apple.
- Two chests can be found in the rearmost room of Gondowan Cave. The northern chest has an Apple in it.
- Among the treasures found in Kalay Tunnel is an Apple. The Apple is in a chest in the room farthest back, which looks notably more cave-like than the rest of the tunnel.
Six Apples are found in Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
- An Apple is hidden in the second floor of Alhafra's inn. It is in the jar of water, in the same room as the stairs.
- A chest in the Madra Catacombs holds an Apple, although it can't be reached until after Sheba learns Reveal at Air's Rock. The chest is beneath a rope that can be Lashed.
- Another chest containing an Apple is sitting at the summit of Gaia Rock, not far from where the Dancing Idol is found. In order to reach it a pillar must be pushed to the north; the same pillar must be pushed south in order to claim the Dancing Idol.
- An Apple somehow managed to grow on the frigid Kalt Island. After skating across the frozen river, casting Catch will add the Apple to the party's inventory.
- The Mimic in Magma Rock drops an Apple. This Mimic is in the lower entrance to the interior section, so one can battle this Mimic shortly after entering Magma Rock.
- The final Apple can be found at the entrance to Mars Lighthouse. It is in a chest in the area where, in the other lighthouses, the left elevator would drop the party off.
Eight Apples are found in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- An Apple is held in the leftmost barrel on the rooftop of Harapa's inn. To reach the roof, however, players must use the house on the opposite side of the central plaza.
- The trees of Ayuthay grow much taller than most trees in Ei-Jei, although they can still be climbed. An Apple rests in the branches of a tree in the middle of Barai Pond. Climb to the top of the tree to claim the Apple.
- While exploring Te Rya Village, be sure to visit the empty house next to the house where a pair of Sanan soldiers are resting. The upper-left of the two jars in this house contains an Apple.
- There is a chest containing an Apple in Kolima's Dream Leaf store. Enter using the back entrance.
- In Kolima Forest, before or after saving the guard in the tree, use Grip to "catch" the Apple on the tree to the right.
- After saving Hou Ju, check the jar in her cell for an Apple.
- Defeat the Mimic in Gaia Falls Islet for an Apple.
- The last Apple can be found on the third floor in Crossbone Isle.
|Use Effect||Permanently increase the Max PP of one ally|
Four Cookies are found in Golden Sun:
- In Altin Peak is a chest holding a Cookie, although the Lift Psynergy is needed to reach it. The chest is just beyond the room where the second Living Statue was, through the door on the lower, formerly-flooded level.
- A Cookie is hidden in a chest in Altmiller Cave, in the fifth floor from the top (Squall is found on the fourth floor). The northwest path must be taken to reach the chest.
- Three Tornado Lizards are found at the entrance to the second portion of Suhalla Desert. The leftmost of them guards a chest containing a Cookie.
- The third floor of Crossbone Isle Cave features four blue doors and a red door. Each door must be opened by a key of the same color, found in the same room. A Cookie is in the chest behind the second blue door from the right.
Six Cookies are found in Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
- A chest containing a Cookie is in the center of the entrance area of Air's Rock. After traveling clockwise around the entire area, face a wind stone from below and cast Whirlwind twice to open a path to the chest.
- A Cookie hides in a box at East Indra Shore. The box cannot be reached unless Frost is cast on a nearby puddle. Be sure to get this Cookie before entering Piers' ship, because this area cannot be revisited later.
- The entrance of Taopo Swamp features a chest containing a Cookie. The chest is on the other side of a river, so players must navigate the next section of the swamp to reach it.
- Players can navigate the first half of Treasure Isle after gaining the Grind Psynergy, eventually reaching a group of six chests. Open the bottom-right chest for a Cookie.
- A jar outside Prox's inn shelters a Cookie.
- A Cookie is dropped by the Mimic in Mars Lighthouse. The Mimic is hiding just inside the front door, behind an ice pillar that must be Pounded.
Eight Cookies are found in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- The southern exit of Konpa Cave has three doorways. After Rief joins the party, turn around and scale the cliff. The western-most entrance leads to a chest containing a Cookie.
- Another Cookie sits in a treasure chest in Ayuthay. After acquiring Wo's Letter, Barai Pond can be navigated by casting Whirlwind while standing on a raft. The Cookie is on the western shore of the pond.
- A Cookie is very well hidden in the upper right house in Saha Town. The tall crate next to the pots and barrels can be Moved one space to the right, and hiding behind it is a chest containing a Cookie.
- Once entering Talon Peak, climb the tree straight ahead and jump off to the left. Jump left to the next tree and climb down to reach the chest with a Cookie inside.
- Once entering the exterior of Warrior's Hill, go into the only building here and down the stairs. Here enter the left door and go down the ladder, jumping on the platform to descend. Make sure to jump off to the left for the Cookie in the chest.
- In the room in Yamata Ruins, with the Venus Djinni Hemlock, make your way to sink the sand. Backtrack to the previous room and use the stepping stones to make way to a chest containing a Cookie.
- There is a Cookie in Champa Camp. The jar on the right in the Inn.
- Defeat the Mimic on the ninth floor of Crossbone Isle for the last Cookie.
|Use Effect||Permanently increase the Defense of one ally|
Five Hard Nuts are found in Golden Sun:
- One of Bilibin's houses is located between the item shop and the weapon and armor shop. In this house is a barrel holding a Hard Nut.
- One of Isaac and company's early adventures featured them lifting a curse that turns people into trees. One of the cursed villagers named Jill, had been pushed into the river at Bilibin Barricade after the battle atop Mercury Lighthouse. Players can use the Move Psynergy to save her, but only before lifting the curse. If the girl is saved, she will give Isaac a Hard Nut the next time he passes by the barricade.
- The basement of Babi's Palace features a laboratory dedicated to researching alchemy. A Hard Nut can be found here, in the lower of the two rightmost jars.
- A treasure chest containing a Hard Nut can be found in the upper-left corner of Suhalla. To reach it, players must go near the sanctum (on the right side of town) and jump across the river.
- The first floor of Crossbone Isle Cave has several moveable stones blocking the path forward, as well as the treasures. To reach a Hard Nut, move the first visible stone to the right and follow the path made available. Repeat the process on the next stone encountered to reach the nut.
Five Hard Nuts are found in Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
- One of the caves in the Yampi Desert area, found after the oasis, features rivers of sand and two treasure chests. A Hard Nut is held by the first chest (the one that can be reached without the Pound Psynergy).
- A Mimic is found early in the Gabomba Statue, waiting in the room after the tunnels. It drops a Hard Nut upon defeat.
- A Hard Nut is in a chest about halfway up Tundaria Tower. To find it, start in a small room with four staircases (just north of the room with Reflux). Climb the leftmost staircase and Pound the ice pillar to shatter it. The next room features three ice pillars and two treasure chests. The Hard Nut is in the chest to the left, which can only be reached by hopping across the Poundable pillars blocking access to the other chest. (Leaving the room will reset the puzzle, just in case the wrong pillar is shattered and the Hard Nut becomes inaccessible.)
- A Hard Nut is hiding south of Lunpa's house in Lemuria, under the weeds near the cow. The Growth and Cyclone Psynergies are both needed to find the nut.
- The final Hard Nut in the game is in Shaman Village, in a chest on a ledge outside the entrance to Trial Road.
Nine Hard Nuts are found in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- Both a Hard Nut and a normal nut can be found under the wind blossoms in the western half of Carver's Lumberyard (which, of course, can only be accessed by riding the gondola from the eastern half of the lumberyard). Cast Whirlwind on the southernmost flowers and they should be revealed quickly.
- After restoring the Alchemy Forge, Bogho will grant players access to Passaj's treasures, located in the northeast corner of town. The rightmost treasure chest contains a Hard Nut.
- Navigate Port Rago Canal. Walk to the left rather than right. The path will lead to a chest containing a Hard Nut.
- Upon entering Kolima Forest, walk right instead of following Pewter. This will lead to a wooden box containing a Hard Nut.
- There is a jar to the south of Harun Village that contains a Hard Nut. It is near a person who talks about Ikan, the storyteller.
- On the bottom floor of Emperor Unan's Palace, in the right-hand room, there is a stove containing a Hard Nut.
- There is a Mimic chest within Snowdrift Shrine. Defeat it for a Hard Nut.
- In Apollo Sanctum Gate, in the Mercury Gate, follow the path all the way left for a Hard Nut.
- The last Hard Nut is found within the Lost Ship in the room with the skeleton. Check the wooden box in this room.
|Use Effect||Permanently increase the Luck of one ally|
Lucky Pepper (ハッピーペッパー, Happy Pepper?) is a consumable item that, when used, permanently raises an Adept's Luck rating. There are a total of seventeen Lucky Peppers found throughout the Golden Sun series.
Four Lucky Peppers are found in Golden Sun:
- Searching the stove in Imil's inn will net players their first Lucky Pepper.
- A treasure chest containing Lucky Pepper is hidden by the mirages of Lamakan Desert. Use Reveal near a circle of stones in the upper-left corner of the second, largest area to find the chest.
- Some Lucky Pepper is waiting in a chest at the Road to Babi Lighthouse. Players will get to practice their recently-acquired Carry Psynergy while trying to reach this chest.
- Three treasure chests can easily be found on the second floor of Crossbone Isle Cave. If traveling counterclockwise, some Lucky Pepper can be found in the third chest.
Five Lucky Peppers are found in Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
- Some Lucky Pepper fell into one of the barrels of the Mikasalla inn. Just search near Galahad, one of the Colosso warriors from the last game.
- A lone jar can be found along the left cliff of Kibombo. Open it for some more Lucky Pepper.
- A chest containing Lucky Pepper can be found in the heart of Aqua Rock. Taking the southern exit from the Psynergy Stone room will place the party near an aqua stone. Casting Douse on the stone will grant access to much of the dungeon, including the chest in question, found just to the left of the aqua stone.
- Apparently the fortune-teller of Shaman Village uses pepper in his rituals. Some Lucky Pepper can be found in his hut, kept in the eastern jar.
- The Mad Plant of Trial Road drops Lucky Pepper upon defeat. The Mad Plant is hiding in the oasis area, which can be reached from the summit by using the Hover and Lift Psynergies. Cyclone is needed to actually fight the plant, which is just to the left of the oasis' entrance.
Eight Lucky Peppers are found in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- Some Lucky Pepper can be found in a jar in the southwest-most house in Carver's Camp. The trick is actually entering the house, since the door is locked. Rolling a nearby log will allow players to jump onto the roof of the building. From there, falling down the chimney grants access to the house and the item within.
- A special shop across from Kaocho's inn will only open after Amiti joins Matthew's party. The rightmost of the two pots in the building's upper-left corner contains some Lucky Pepper.
- While exploring Harapa Ruins, a pair of easily-accessible treasure chests can be found along the southern walkways. The left-hand chest houses some more Lucky Pepper.
- Pepper appears to be the seasoning of choice in Port Rago, as some Lucky Pepper can be found in the inn's oven.
- Before or after acquiring Venus Djinni Chasm, stay on the lower level and go down, up the stairs on the left to reach a room with a chest and some Lucky Pepper.
- At Iceberg Outpost, some Lucky Pepper can be found if you use the nearby tree (from Rime) to get up a level and examine the box.
- After having triggered the Grave Eclipse, sail back to Ayuthay. Enter the inn and talk to Paithos, who will tell you about an item he was readying to hand over to his nephew. Use Spirit Sense on him to find out the heirloom is hidden in the throne room. Go to said room and push the throne to the left to reveal a secret staircase. Use Arid Heat at the end of this room to access another hidden room with some chests. Amongst other rare items, one chest contains a Lucky Pepper.
- Inside Endless Wall, move north to get around to the other side, where you can jump out the far right window to get the chest for some Lucky Pepper.
|Use Effect||Permanently increase the Agility of one ally|
Four Mints are found in Golden Sun:
- The first Mint in the game is kept in the leftmost box on the first floor of Vault's inn.
- The Lamakan Desert is filled with mirages, outlined by circles of stones, that can only be penetrated with the Reveal Psynergy. Three mirages can be found in the final area, just south of where the Manticore waits. The uppermost of these mirages hides a chest containing a Mint.
- The cliffs of Suhalla Gate are riddled with grooves that act as one-way slides to the lower levels. The first of these dirt slides drops Isaac's party right next to a Mint in a chest.
- A chest containing a Mint can be found along the river outside Crossbone Isle Cave. To reach it, players must climb the cliff using the Growth Psynergy, then slide down the third and final groove on the cliff.
- Due to recent flooding, Dehkan Plateau has grown rather unstable. Many adventurers fall through cracks in the ground, landing in small caves. Players must intentionally do this in order to reach a Mint: the second underground cave, entered from above through the upper-left crack.
- Cyclone is needed to navigate the Gabomba Catacombs, as well as collect its treasures. The second weed-filled room hides a Mint; just use Cyclone on the first patch of weeds encountered.
- Another weed-hidden Mint is growing on the Apojii Islands. Cast Cyclone near the end of the village proper but before approaching the Gaia Falls area.
- Tundaria Tower has many sections where Felix slides across the ice until hitting a wall or obstacle. A Mint is in the first of these rooms, but can't be reached unless players slide in just the right sequence. If the room is entered from the right, the sequence is: left (onto the ice), down, left, up, right, up, right.
- Two Mints can be found at Jupiter Lighthouse, the first of which is hidden by weeds. Shortly after first entering the lighthouse, Felix's party will find their way outside again, but in a slightly different area. Travel southeast along the lighthouse wall and cast Cyclone.
- The second Jupiter Lighthouse Mint is dropped by a Mad Plant. The Mad Plant is in the lighthouse's basement, almost directly beneath the previous Mint. After entering the basement, head south at the first junction and cast Cyclone to begin the battle.
Eight Mints are found in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- The gondolas of Goma Highlands Road can be started up with a single Fireball. Riding the gondola in the first area leads players to a Mint in a chest.
- Mints seem to be popular in Kaocho: One can be found in the oven of the house south of the elderly woman that gives players the Grandmother's Gift.
- To the northeast of the open grassy area in Teppe Ruins, there is a circle of grass with a Mint hidden inside it. One must use Track to be able to pick it up.
- In Phantasmal Bog, in the room with where the player may cast Arid Heat on the puddle to dry up the lake. Jump back to the start of this area and down into the lake bed so you can grab the Mint from the chest.
- In Tonfon, can go into the door behind the weapons shop and use the ramp here to get a chest with some Mint.
- While, reaching Obaba in Champa, head up the central stairs to the fourth floor and check out the left room's urn for some Mint.
- Another Mint can be found on a small island with a single tree south-east of Ayuthay. Check the tree for the Mint.
- The last Mint is located in the Mars sub-area of Apollo Sanctum. It is located inside a chest at the leftmost side of this area.
|Use Effect||Permanently increase the Max HP of one ally|
A Power Bread (ライフパン, Life Bread?) is a consumable item that, when used, permanently raises an Adept's Hit Point total. In the game's code, Power Bread is listed as one of the last items in the original Golden Sun, unlike the other items of this class which are near the start, suggesting it was a late addition. There are a total of seventeen Power Breads found throughout the Golden Sun series.
Four Power Breads are found in Golden Sun:
- Return to Vale after Ivan joins your party permanently. Just north of the plaza is a cliff covered by leaves. One of these leaf patches (the left-hand one behind the weapon and armor shop) hides a cave. These leaves can be easily dispersed with a simple Whirlwind, so go inside and claim some Power Bread.
- There is little of note in the Alpine Crossing, but players can claim another loaf of Power Bread after solving a relatively simple puzzle with the Growth and Frost Psynergies.
- Outside Tolbi's sanctum is a ring of graves. Some Power Bread can be found here, in a chest that can only be seen with Reveal.
- Deep within Lunpa Fortress, in the area where monsters are found rather than bandits, is a hallway with three jail cells in a row. Within the middle cell is a loaf of Power Bread.
Five Power Breads are found in Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
- One of the sentries at Kibombo Mountains guards a chest containing Power Bread, right at the entrance to the second area. Since Felix isn't supposed to be seen, drop a crate on him before claiming the treasure. Alternatively, players can claim this treasure after recovering Piers' Black Orb, after which the Kibombo warriors will head home.
- Apparently Alhafra is so affluent that even the prisoners are served Power Bread. After Briggs finally leaves town, take the back entrance to his jail cell (through the mayor's personal cave) and search the barrel to claim his dinner as your own.
- A loaf of Power Bread can be found in the Ankohl Ruins, in the room with the first statue that acts as a "sand fountain."
- A Mimic near the end of the first half of Treasure Isle drops some Power Bread.
- Just outside Contigo's sanctum is a barrel containing Power Bread.
Eight Power Breads are found in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
- Patcher keeps a loaf of Power Bread in a chest behind the counter of his shop/inn combo at Patcher's Place.
- Although not visible from the outside, there is a room deep within a tunnel network in western Passaj, on the same floor as the inn. Some Power Bread lays in a barrel next to a pair of bookshelves that give players information on zol and Alchemy Machines.
- Another Power Bread-containing chest can be seen behind the counter of Ayuthay's inn, although it can't be reached until the Alchemy Well is thrown in reverse.
- On the first floor inside of Briggs' ship in Port Rago, there is a Power Bread inside the barrel in the upper-left corner. However, one must first obtain the Roc Feather to access the inside of Briggs' ship.
- A Mercury Djinni known as Pincer resides in the attic of an elderly couple's house in western Belinsk. Although the Djinni can't be accessed at first, some Power Bread can be found in the left-most wooden crate in the room.
- After exiting Belinsk Ruins, jump across the right stones and use the raft to shoot down and reach the Power Bread in the chest.
- At Yamata, at the top-right house, push the hay to the right and climb up the ladder. Jump across to the left and check the upper left pot on this second level for a Weasel's Claw. Climb down and push the hay here as well. You're going to have to move the box to get to the chest for a Power Bread.
- Some Power Bread can be found in Otka Island. From the entrance of the maze follow these directions: up, left, up, up, up, right, right, right, right, down, down, down, down, left, and up.
|HP-restoring||Herb • Rice Ration • Corn • Kaocho Dumpling • Plump Dumpling • Nut • Vial • Potion • Mist Potion|
|PP-restoring||Khiren Water • Ginseng • Psy Crystal|
|Status-restoring||Antidote • Dried Lizard • Elixir • Water of Life|
|Offensive||Bramble Seed • Crystal Powder • Gunpowder Bomb • Illusion Perfume • Oil Drop • Psy Grenade • Sleep Bomb • Smoke Bomb • Spark Shuriken • Weasel's Claw|
|Stat-boosting||Apple • Cookie • Hard Nut • Lucky Pepper • Mint • Power Bread|
|Forgeable||Dark Matter • Dragon Skin • Golem Core • Mythril Silver • Orihalcon • Quality Zol • Salamander Tail • Star Dust • Sylph Feather • Tear Stone|
|Misc.||Dream Leaf • Game Ticket • Lucky Medal • Sacred Feather|
|Items and Equipment (Comparison charts)|
|Weapons||Axes • Light Blades • Long Swords • Maces • Staffs/Ankhs • Bows • Fists/Claws|
|Body Armor||Armor • Clothing • Robes|
|Hand Armor||Bracelets • Gloves • Shields|
|Head Armor||Basic Headgear • Circlets • Helms|
|Accessories||Boots • Rings • Shirts|
|Misc.||Quest items • Consumable items (Stat-boosting) • Forgeable items • Utility Psynergy items|