i was thinking about doing sections in each character page about the origins and meanings of their names, it that ok with everyone?
- Do you mean like what we currently have in the Djinn articles? If so, that might work. I guess I'd have to see an example to know for sure. And, of course, there's always the possibility that some names were chosen somewhat randomly without any particular meaning in mind, so it probably won't work for all characters... The World's Hungriest Paperweight 11:04, 3 October 2011 (CDT)
- yeah, like the Djinn articles, i read something interesting about Babi in a bestiary, he was an egyptian baboon god who had control over sea currents. kinda like GS Babi wanted with his lighthouse. i'd just do a line about the name meaning, one line for each name. like point out Reif could be a pun on reef, Piers on well piers ect.Vita-chan 11:31, 3 October 2011 (CDT)
- Hunh. I didn't know that about Babi. In that case, sure, go ahead! (Great, now I can't stop picturing "Babi the Baboon"...) The World's Hungriest Paperweight 11:38, 3 October 2011 (CDT)
ok here's a preview of the name origins, i thought best to start with Isaac first.
Name origins and Meanings[edit source]
Japanese: Robin. Robin means 'fame' in Old German. A Robin is a bird who in folklaw is connected to charity, compassion, both good and bad luck and omens of winter and death.
English: Isaac. Isaac is Yiddish for 'He will Laugh'. Isaac in the Bible is one of the Patriarchs of the Jewish, Christian and Muslim Faiths. He was very long lived.
French: Vlad. Vlad is short for Vladislav, which is Eastern European and means 'to rule with glory'. The most infamous Vlad is Vlad III/ Vlad Tepes. This may be a nod to the Ragnarok/Odyssey Psynergy that summons swords to impale a foe.
Spanish: Hans. Hans is the German equivalent to John which means 'God is generous'. One could consider this an interesting name choice as Isaac is gifted with part of the powers of Alchemy. Vita-chan 14:09, 3 October 2011 (CDT)
- Okay, this might not be such a good idea. Most of these are just barely relevant, and some (Robin, at least) appear to be completely random. Maybe we shouldn't include "name meanings" for all characters, just those where the name is actually somewhat connected to the character (like your earlier examples with Babi, Piers, and Rief). The World's Hungriest Paperweight 15:48, 3 October 2011 (CDT)
- i might not be explaining things well enough tho, i can polish it abit more so it works for all of them. Vita-
chan 16:01, 3 October 2011 (CDT)
- perhaps i could even create a page with just name meanings, mythology and things like that.
- i might not be explaining things well enough tho, i can polish it abit more so it works for all of them. Vita- chan 16:01, 3 October 2011 (CDT)