The Golden Sun series is rather well known for its extensive shipping scene. On the TVTropes wiki, Golden Sun is listed as an example series in its article about shipping because seemingly every character in Golden Sun is involved in a named pairing with every other character. Some of the shipping pairings are described as "extremely unrealistic and impractical...just to parody the rest of the shipping," with Garet's Magmashipping cited as an example. The article on crack pairings also has an entry on Golden Sun.
The following lists attempts to document shipping terms that have been established as terms used in fanfiction discussion in Golden Sun community boards. The ships listed are grouped and arranged by male characters. Listed with various ship name is a link to a fan fiction that either generated the name of the ship or that is a good representative example of the ship.
Lists of shipping terms concerning the main characters of the two Game Boy Advance titles. Since these games were released between 2001 and 2003, the terms below have come about from years of discussion and fanwork.
- Deathshipping focues on Isaac and Karst. Named so because Karst seeks to avenge Menardi's death by killing Isaac.
- Hasteshipping focuses on Isaac and Hama. Dubbed Hasteshipping after the fanfic by ikapikapuka.
- Izzyshipping, also known as Ashshipping, focuses on Isaac and Sheba. May be dubbed Izzyshipping because of a nickname used for Isaac, perhaps by Sheba herself in one fanfic.
- Mudshipping focuses on Isaac and Mia. Dubbed Mudshipping based on when the Earth-based element of Isaac and the Water-based element of Mia combine to form mud.
- Valeshipping focuses on Isaac and Jenna. Dubbed Valeshipping because the two characters hail from Vale. Confirmed canon by Camelot in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, in which Isaac and Jenna are the parents of Matthew.
- Weirdshipping focuses on Isaac and Feizhi. Possibly dubbed Weirdshipping because Feizhi possesses "weird" powers.
- Flameshipping focuses on Garet and Jenna. Dubbed Flameshipping based on the Fire-based elements of the two characters.
- Jokershipping focuses on Garet and Feizhi. Dubbed Jokershipping after Joker's Specter, the person to give the idea of this paring to Delfeir, who used it in Project Psynergy.
- Laundryshipping focuses on Garet and Dora. This is very uncommon and has been written only for crack purposes, yet it has a shipping name so it is worthy of mention. Dracobolt coined the name Laundryshipping when she began work on a Garet/Dora story.
- Magmashipping focuses on Garet and the Wise One. A unique pairing created by Joker's Specter, the name Magmashipping may relate to how Garet's element is fire and how the Wise One guards a volcano.
- Spikeydomeshipping (also known as Hot Wind Shipping) focuses on Garet and Sheba. Dubbed Spikeydomeshipping because of their hair shapes, Garet's being spiky and Sheba's being dome shaped.
- Steamshipping focuses on Garet and Mia. Dubbed Steamshipping because when their elements, fire and water, combine, the water boils and creates steam. The merits and likelihood of Steamshipping and Valeshipping as opposed to Mudshipping and Flameshipping have been the subject of much debate among fans.
- Hotplasmashipping focuses on Ivan and Jenna. It has the alternative name of Burnshipping for Ivan's compliment when Jenna "burns" the Wise One on Mars Lighthouse. Hotplasmashipping relates to Jenna's element being "hot" and Plasma being one of Ivan's Psynergy series.
- Puretortureshipping focuses on Ivan and Mia. It was named after the first Ivan/Mia story to be posted on fanfiction.net. Also called Mistshipping.
- Purpleshipping focuses on Ivan and Feizhi. Known as Purpleshipping because Ivan has purple eyes and Feizhi has purple hair.
- Windshipping focuses on Ivan and Sheba. Dubbed Windshipping based on both characters' abilities to project Wind-based Psynergy.
- Duskshipping focuses on Felix and Karst. Believed to be coined by the author Feral Phoenix, presumably because Felix and Karst's faces are both slightly shadowed over in their in-game portraits. Also known as Volcanoshipping.
- Goldenringshipping focuses on Felix and Feizhi. The ship is believed to have originated from the scene in Golden Sun: The Lost Age, where, if Hsu is saved from the boulder in the first game by Isaac and Co, Feizhi mistakes Felix for Isaac and tells him to give the Golden Ring to Isaac for her. The term was coined by author mud master isaac.
- Lighthouseshipping focuses on Felix and Sheba. Dubbed Lighthouseshipping because the episode at Venus Lighthouse is where Felix demonstrates sacrificial valor in trying to rescue Sheba from falling down, implying romance to some authors. Also known as Catfoodshipping, as both "Felix" and "Sheba" are names of cat food brands, and Sandshipping, since Sand is one of Felix's unique Psynergies and wind can turn rock into sand over time (as Sheba says in Garoh).
- MegaVenusshiping focuses on Felix and Megaera. The ship was created by amanda2324 of FanFiction.net. The name was created using Mega (from Megaera) and Venus (Felix's elemental focus).
- Oldersiblingshipping focuses on Felix and Kay, though also sometimes confused for the ship between Felix and Hama. Named Oldersiblingshipping since Felix and Kay are the older siblings of Jenna and Garet.
- Oopsiesshipping focuses on Felix and Jenna. The name of Oopsiesshipping arose because this incestuous pairing is a mistake.
- Softshipping focuses on Felix and Mia. According to the ship list's creator, it is dubbed Softshipping based on a fanfiction where Felix claimed to Isaac that he had never done anything with Mia, although he mentioned her skin was soft. Also called Frothshipping because of the Froth Psynergy series that Felix and Mia obtain when their Djinn are configured for the Seer class.
- Stockholmshipping focuses on Felix and Menardi, and coined by the author bane1190 (also known as KeyBane). It's named as such because of Felix bonding with Menardi, his "captor."
- Aquashipping focuses on Piers and Mia. Named Aquashipping because Piers and Mia both share the ability to project water.
- Cookieshipping focuses on Piers and Sheba. Named Cookieshipping after the first fanfiction on the subject, written by Akiko, where Piers and Sheba worked together to deliver a batch of cookies to Kalay.
- ImmortalRevealershipping focuses on Piers and Hama. The name may simply be a combination of Piers's longevity and Hama's ability to reveal the future.
- Ketchupshipping focuses on Piers and Jenna. Also known as hotspringshipping because their elements, Fire and Water, can work together to create a hot spring.
- Tragedyshipping focuses on Piers and Karst. Coined by Airumel, the name Tragedyshipping stems from Karst's tragic death in the ending of the second game.
- Alephshipping focuses on Alex and the Wise One, a pairing done for crack humor. The name of Alephshipping refers to their scene at the top of Mt. Aleph.
- Imiliveroshipping focuses on Alex and Sheba. Imiliveroshipping is meant to be a portmanteau of their hometowns, Imil and Lalivero.
- Imilshipping focuses on Alex and Mia. It is named Imilshipping since Alex and Mia both come from Imil. Could be interpreted as slightly incestuous, though, since Alex and Mia are cousins.
- Zitshipping focuses on Alex and Jenna, named because of a fanfic by Sammi Somara. It is also known as Blazeshipping for Alex's "blaze of glory" in his (alleged) death, and also for a fanfiction by Mikaa that dealt with the pairing. A third name is Simmershipping, both because of a fanfic by Umi no Kanshisha and because of how water simmers when put over a low flame (a low flame being chosen owing to the large differences in their relative power).
Because Dark Dawn for Nintendo DS is a new game, clearly-defined shipping terms for many possible relationships have yet to be created and be adapted by Golden Sun communities as a whole, so the following merely lists possible male-and-female pairs of characters amongst the eight playable ones, proposed shipping names for them, and fan fiction authored for each.
- Matthew and Himi is called "Growthshipping" for their similar affinity to the earth.
- Matthew and Hou Ju. A suggested shipname is Echoshipping (coined by Mireia), named for the gems Matthew's party use to locate her.
- Matthew and Karis. A current shipping name concept is "Dawnshipping" (coined by Fatal Exodus), the idea of being that Matthew's father, Isaac, holds a part of the Golden Sun, and the name also a reference to the two characters' debut game, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.
- Matthew and Nowell. A current shipping name is "Nobleshipping" (coined by Raven the Ravenous), in reference to Nowell's Japanese name.
- Matthew and Sveta. "Spiritshipping" is becoming a popular name for the shipping, owing to an event that takes place near the end of the game; "Apolloshipping" for the same reason, but after the place where those events took place. Some call it Soulshipping for a similar reason, and because "Soul" sounds like "Sol."
- Tyrell and Himi. Some proposed names include "Scarletshipping" and "Crimsonshipping."
- Tyrell and Karis is known as "Sparkshipping" for their constant bickering and bantering.
- Tyrell and Sveta. Current shipping name concepts include "Singeshipping" (coined by Oh so random), the idea being that Tyrell is a Mars Adept, Sveta is of a beastman-species, and that fur or hair is singed when exposed to flames.
- Rief and Himi. Known as "Seveneyeshipping."
- Rief and Karis. A current shipping name concept is "Tiarashipping" (coined by Cora), the idea being that the female version of a crown ("Crown" being the Japanese name of Rief) is "tiara." A comical name proposed on GoldenSunRealm was "LuckyNerdShipping" because Rief looks like a nerd.
- Rief and Sveta. Known as "Blizzardshipping."
- Eoleo and Himi. Known as "Sinshipping" because Eoleo is a pirate and Himi is a priestess, a matchup considered rather sinful.
- Eoleo and Karis. Known as "Creepershipping."
- Eoleo and Sveta. Known as "Hotdogshipping."
- Amiti and Himi. Known as "Celestialshipping," "Divineshipping," "Shrineshipping," or "Sightshipping" (the last one suggested by Shadow Milotic because they both see the unseen with the Insight Glass and the Third Eye.)
- Amiti and Hou Ju. Known as "Arrangeshipping" because the namer of the ship, Sunruner, thought this pairing would be most plausible in the context of an arranged marriage.
- Amiti and Karis. Known as "GoldenHeavenshipping" or "Stormshipping". The former is named after the first Karis/Amiti fanfiction, and the latter is due to their respective elements being water and lightning.
- Amiti and Nowell. Known as "Secondshipping" because the two are second cousins. Coined by Sunruner.
- Amiti and Sveta. Known as "Hurricaneshipping."
Other Dark Dawn Pairings
- Cardshipping focuses on Blados and Chalis. The name derives from their names being associated with normal cards in the Japanese version (Spade and Heart), and with Tarot cards in the United States version.
- Noblewarrioshipping focuses on Nowell and Takeru. Named after Nowell's Japanese name and how Takeru is the strongest warrior in Izumo.
- Sailingshipping focuses on Nowell and Piers. Nowell fell for Piers upon seeing him, and they left to sail the world together.
- Truthshipping, a canon relationship, focuses on Alex and Veriti. The name (coined by "Knight-Dawn") is derived from the name, Veriti (meaning "truth"), and from how the truth is hidden when the party meets Amiti. Another name for the pairing is AlchemyWellshipping (coined by "LadyVale"), comes from how Alex first met Veriti in order to start the Alchemy Machine in Ayuthay..
- Betrayedshipping focuses on Karst and Mia. Named because both Mia and Karst (along with others) were betrayed by Alex at some point in their lives.
- Closetshipping focuses on Ivan and Felix.
- Cucumbershipping focuses on Isaac and Piers.
- Earthshipping focuses on Isaac and Felix; it's named Earthshipping because Isaac and Felix both have the ability to project earth-based powers.
- Ferretshipping focuses on Felix and Garet. The name of Ferretshipping is a play on their names being put together.
- Gardenshipping focuses on Mia and Kay.
- Gladiatorshipping focuses on Sean and Ouranos, who are depicted with a fairly buddy-buddy relationship in-game. So named because they are both Colosso competitors.
- Lavashipping focuses on Isaac and Garet. Named after their combined elements. Coined by HyperMushrambo after his successful traumatizing of the judges in a Golden Sun Fanfictions contest.
- Moonlightshipping focuses on Mia and Jenna. The name moonlightshipping comes from acclaimed Mia/Jenna fic of the same name. This ship is also referred to as Icyhotshipping, Pureaurashipping, and Calmrageshipping.
- Porcelainshipping focuses on Felix and Alex. It is named Porcelainshipping because of the Alex/Felix fic Akiko wrote.
- Psychshipping focuses on Feizhi and Hama. Created during the Golden Sun Realm Podcast episode 6.
- Sandstormshipping focuses on Isaac and Ivan, it has also been called Glassshipping since lightning can turn sand to glass. Sandstormshipping relates to their elements of wind and earth (sand).
- Scarfshipping focuses on Isaac and Matthew. The name was suggested by Gilgamesh/Boyd to a traumatized HyrulianJedi because both Isaac and Matthew wear the yellow scarf.
- Strawberryshipping focuses on Sheba and Jenna, and is apparently named because the first Sheba and Jenna romance story on fanfiction.net was entitled Strawberry, and also because if Jenna and Sheba's hair colors mixed, it would be strawberry blond.
- Sunshipping focuses on Alex and Isaac. The name Sunshipping relates to how at the end of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Isaac and Alex share parts of the Golden Sun.
- Swampshipping focuses on Piers and Felix. Named Swampshipping since swamps are large areas of extremely muddy water. Also called WarpedMudshipping.
- Fogshipping focuses on Piers and Ivan. Named Fogshipping by Gwydd because of the Sea of Time and the relationship of Fog to both water and air.
- Tendershipping focuses on Karis and Chalis. Named after the first Karis/Chalis story to be posted on Fanfiction.net.
- Theloversshipping focuses on Arcanus and Matthew. Coined by "LadyVale", the name thelovers relates to the Major Arcana in a set of cards known as Tarot. The Lovers (L'Amoureux) The Children of the Voice; The Oracle of the Mighty Gods. A struggle between two paths.
- Vipershipping focuses on Chalis and Meisa. The name (as coined by Shadow Milotic) comes from a canon line in which Meisa calls Chalis "a viper."
- Zephyrshipping focuses on Karis and Sveta. Called Zephyrshipping after "zephyr" (light breeze) and the Greek wind god Zephyrus who laid with a demihuman woman. Also called Stormshipping because they both control wind and lightning and because of the events that follow the departure from Belinsk in the midst of a storm.
- Awkwardshipping focuses on Sheba and Agatio. Awkwardshipping was initially proposed as a "pair the spares" counterpart for Duskshipping (hence the kink meme prompt calling for a double-date), and noted that it would be really awkward to make happen, which led to the name (coined by Vagabond).
- Billybeanshipping focuses on the lord of Bilibin and his wife. Billybeanshipping is a joke way to spell Bilibin.
- Bodybuildershipping focuses on Garet and Agatio. Named after their similar muscle builds. Coined in The Adepts of Weyard forum.
- Boilershipping focuses on Mia, Jenna, and Kay. Created as a joke by Golden Sun Realm members Cena and Glenn. The name Boilershipping emerged because water boils when exposed to extreme heat, and the pairing involves two Fire Adepts and one Water Adept.
- Bouldershipping focuses on Kyle and Dora. The name Bouldershipping relates to the Mt. Aleph boulder that tore this couple apart for three years.
- Champashipping focuses on Briggs and Chaucha. The name (coined by mokomel and SailorLi) refers to how they both hail from the town of Champa.
- Crakenshipping focuses on Mia and Sean. Dubbed so because it is crack and they meet on the Tolbi-bound ship where the battle with the Kraken occurrs.
- Dragonshipping focuses on Agatio and Karst. Dragonshipping comes from an event near the end of the game when they are transformed into dragons.
- EtherealEarthShipping focuses on Isaac and Flint. Named because Flint is an ethereal being, and both are connected with the Venus element. The shipping came about from one of Isaac's comments in Dark Dawn: "We're very attached to our Djinni." Adepts of Weyard member Alex coined the shipping name.
- GoneToHailshipping focuses on Mia and the Snowman in Imil. It was created by Joker's Specter of Magmashipping fame.
- Izumoshipping focuses on Kushinada and Susa, named Izumoshipping because they are both from Izumo.
- Kalayshipping focuses on Hammet and Layana, called Kalayshipping because they both come from Kalay.
- Karagolshipping focuses on the Kraken and the Tolbi-bound ship. Named so because the Kraken attacks the ship in the Karagol Sea. An alternate name is Shipshipping, suggested by Reimu Hakurei.
- MasterShipping focuses on Karis and a Wooden Stick. Named so because Adepts Of Weyard member Alex said aloud one of the lines in Dark Dawn, "Karis has mastered Wooden Stick." The shipping name was coined by Adepts of Weyard member BlueKoopa.
- Oldshipping focuses on Kraden and Tret. The name (coined by CreationsGoneAwry) refers to how both are very old.
- Proxshipping focuses on Saturos and Menardi. It is called Proxshipping because they both come from Prox.
- Revealshipping focuses on Hama and Maha. Originally coined by the author Miyukitty because they both share the Psynergy Reveal.
- RockPaperScissorsShipping focuses on Tret and the Wise One. Coined by Mirabelle456.
- Roofshipping focuses on Isaac and the roof of his house. So called because the pairing ships Isaac with a roof.
- Treeshipping focuses on Tret and Laurel, named Treeshipping because they are trees.
- Xianshipping focuses on Hsu and Feizhi. The name relates to how they both come from Xian.